Today, I continue my posting of information from Kaspersky concerning threats to your computer, where they come from, how to spot the signs of infection, and what to do about it.
Sources of Threats
A person, a group of people, or phenomena unrelated to human activity can threaten information security. Following from this, all threat sources can be put into one of three groups:
1. The human factor. This group of threats concerns the actions of people with authorized or unauthorized access to information. Threats in this group can be divided into:
– External, including cyber criminals, hackers, Internet scams, unprincipled partners, and criminal organizations.
– Internal, including the actions of company staff and users of home PC’s. Actions taken by this group could be deliberate or accidental.
2. The technological factor. This threat group is connected with technical problems – use of obsolete or poor-quality software and hardware to process information. This can lead to equipment failure and often to data loss.
3. The natural-disaster factor. This threat group includes the whole range of events caused by nature and independent of human activity.
All three threat sources must be accounted for when developing a data security protection system.
Tomorrow I will cover how threats spread.
As a humorous side-not, I have the following to offer you:
The Center for Disease Control has issued a medical alert about a highly contagious, potentially dangerous virus that is transmitted orally, by hand and even electronically. This virus is called Weary Overload Recreational Killer (WORK).
If you receive WORK from your boss, any of your colleagues or anyone else via any means whatsoever, do not touch it. This virus will wipe out your private life completely. If you should come into contact with WORK, you should immediately leave the premises.
Take two good friends to the nearest store and purchase one or both of the antidotes — Work Isolating Neutralizer Extract (WINE) or Bothersome Employer Elimination Rebooter (BEER). Take the antidote repeatedly until WORK has been completely eliminated from your system.
You should immediately forward this medical alert to five friends. If you do not have five friends, you have already been infected and WORK is controlling your life .